Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Is it just me or it is it getting dark in here?

... I thought to myself when the power went out last night at 11pm. The bathroom still had light, which means my eyeshadow this morning is even (priorities, friends)... however the other half of my apartment which includes the lights everywhere, the tv, the FRIDGE... and the HEATER were done (the weather outside was frightful... 7 degrees). When I woke up this morning the electricity had returned, however the heater and tv both weren't so much working (needing to be reset??)... it was cold and I was anxious about getting on the roads without the winter weather report from the local news (not that i could change the outcome or my route by watching these events, but you know, who doesn't want to have all the info??).. According to my mom because I only opened the fridge in one panicky moment to check to see if the fridge was off (it totally was, and lots of profanity ensued). That and in the wee hours of the night it shouldn't have spoiled anything as the cold air wasn't escaping, etc. etc. She said I would have to go through item by item to make determinations. I hope I don't have to toss my chili. It was really too good to toss. Do you toss chili? Does that sound dirty? John would probably think so. He's like the Todd.... dirty sounding food five.
Mom's healthified soupy chilli amazingness
  • 1/2 lb ground lean turkey (browned separately and added to soupy mix)
  • 12 ounces tomato juice
  • can black beans
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 1 garlic clove (minced and sauteed with onion)
  • corn, sweet peppers (okay they weren't in the first one but i would totally throw them in had i had them in the pantry for texture and extra veggie count)
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • a few slices of cheddar for garnish and/or melty cheesy delicousness
honestly i was kind of eyeballing all of this. my mom's actual recipe included her just listing these ingredients (ish) and just telling me to do whatever (no order or quantities). Apparently the rule for chili is no rules. What a rebellious soup. I love it.
You know what else I love? A holiday gift I received from one of our vendors today: a thermos!!! Soup city: here I come! AND it kind of looks like a missile/rocketship WOMD... no? It's the most dangerous looking food transporting container I own. Rebellious soup in a badass thermos? I think so.