Monday, October 27, 2008

Daily affirmations and breakfast

Because you're good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it, you make a decent breakfast.

That's what I was repeating to myself this Sunday as I watched the morning political programs and saw that Al Franken is making some serious progress in his Minnesota race, and that Hillary even did a TV commercial on his behalf. Stuart Smalley does Washington? Do I smell a hit made-for-tv movie?

Anyway soon after I filled my Sunday with random tasks and making multiple breakfast dishes. I had a helper to sample my fare. He said the selection was good but a little flavorless. Duley noted. Sometimes I think I get carried away on veggie incorporation and texture, and stop short of adding too much seasoning.
Vegetable Fritatta
  • 1/2 cup grilled eggplant
  • 1/2 cup grilled zucchini
  • 1/4 cup grilled red pepper
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

whisk eggs with milk then add vegetables. pour into medium skillet and scrape sides and bottom to keep from unevenly cooking. then when it's semi cooked and semi eggy, sprinkle cheese and put under the broiler for a few minutes.

question, what the heck is different about scrambled eggs and the fritatta? I mean, it was slightly more stuck together than regular scrambed eggs, and there's the whole broiler business.. but really what's the difference? inquiring minds want to know. (i googled it, but couldn't seem to find a sufficient answer) anyway, it tasted the same. I added a bit of NF yogurt and cilantro and served with a heaping glass of OJ.

Maple-Orange French Toast
  • 2 slices WW bread
  • 2 eggs
  • Tsp nutmeg
  • Tbsp 100% pure maple syrup
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • Tsp orange zest
  • Tbsp orange juice

whisk eggs together and add other ingredients. Soak bread before transferring to a skillet on medium heat. Serve with more maple syrup and oranges.

yummm yummm yummm



This morning I made a breakfast shake and had a WW bagel with the last bit of my gourmet pomegranite jam...boo.. P.S. can you spy my yarn and knitting needles? I am going to try to start knitting to make gaudi and tacky things for my loved ones. I started a row but don't know how to make a second row. If anyone out there knows a nice old lady who would help me jump start my knit-tastic new project, let me know.

Lovely Morning Anti-oxident Berry Shake
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1 cup frozen mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries)
  • 1 cup plain NF yogurt
  • 1 cup plain soy milk
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice or honey
delicous... I usually add more soy milk or yogurt to thin it out... something about thick shakes without a straw is weird to me. At some point I will probably start adding some sort of protein powder to these. I've always been a little cautious of protein shakes and powders.. somehow I equate it (irrationally, i know) to slim for life or other weight loss supplements, or possibly making me look like a female body builder. those chicks are scary. no protein powder for me.

I'll be gone ALL week and then will be back in time for school, which can only further delay my return to the world of food blogging. I should return in time for the ELECTIONS!!! whoop whoop. See you next week!