Monday, October 20, 2008

A trip to the Z-O-O

Sunday funday! After living in this city for three years and always making plans to go to the zoo (or at least saying out loud every time I pass by the exit for the zoo) I finally made the trip. Our zoo is dwarfed by other cities' fabulous zoos and I was a bit afraid it wouldn't be much more than a petting zoo. However, I was pretty impressed.

Also, much to the annoyance of my zoo companion, I was doing a lot of Lauren does Andy Samburg does Mark Whalberg talking to animals. Hey donkey. You're a donkey. What's up with that? I produce entourage. Say hi to your mutha fa me.


When we got back I was exhausted from walking all over Africa and and Australia to see wildlife and thought I'd have a simple, easy meal. Too bad I chose risotto which is actually extremely labor intensive, what with the constant stirring. Oh well, it was delicous.

Butternut Squash Risotto
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • 1/3 onion, diced
  • 1 cup butternut squash, peeled, and finely diced
  • 1 cup rice (can it still technically be a risotto if i only used white rice instead of arborio?)
  • .5 cup dry white wine
  • .5 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 Tbsp chopped chives or garlic chives

I think I used more wine than I thought, because it sort of overpowered things. I found the original recipe at simply recipes but wanted much smaller portions so I tried to adjust things as I went.

I did some other pre-week prep work too (in addition to FINALLY cleaning up from Saturday's soiree) Which included Monday's lunch: Veggie wrap

So, I am not exactly a vegetarian, but I do love vegetarian recipes. I signed up for a free starter kit from PETA, which included facts/figures/blah/blah/blah. The problem is although I generally oppose the idea of cruelty (don't we all?), I'm not in it for the animals. I like veggies, and it's healthier. End of story. That said, the starter kit had one of my favorite wrap combos eva. I love eating this, it has such a healthy delicous crunch to it... plus it gives me a reason to buy sprouts.
PETA veggie wrap:
  • WW wrap
  • sprouts
  • red cabbage
  • spinach leaves
  • tomatoes
  • cucumbers
  • avocado (my favorite!!)
  • tofutti fake cream cheese (real stuff would be yummy too, but i had the healthier version to use up in the fridge)
This morning I set my alarm early to make a glorious breakfast. However sleep sounded much better so I decided to slum it instead. Maple syrup/brown sugar oatmeal with dried cranberries.


My dad is in town this week, hooray! (and hooray for getting him to bring me my winter coats) ... so once I am through with class for the week and can reconnect with (oh.. kitchen..tv..life.. yoga..blog) I will likely be making him a meal. In the meantime, homework and work beckon.