Thursday, October 23, 2008

If only I had extra hands...

... to pat myself on the back. I'm so proud of my little masterpiece dinner I made for my dad. Yes, I know in the gourmet food world the ingredient list used here is still pretty short and overly simple, but in my little food world I just graduated from snacks to entrees. That alone makes me want to do a kellie kapowski banana jump.

So dad and I watched the news, and did the usual discussing of political and world events while I was bustling around in the kitchen. I had intended to kick him out in time to go to Yoga (because I have been notably MIA lately, enough so that the instructor asked if I was taking a hiatus, oops) However dad and I were having a good time and lively discussion and I decided zen and inner peace would just have to wait, dammit.This meal was the result of me googling recipes that could generally be made from the contents of my refrigerator. One eggplant later I created a the feta and spinach stuffed chicken breasts on a rice pilaf (question, what exactly constitutes a pilaf? Is a pile of rice under a piece of meat a pilaf? Using all of my restaurant menu knowlege, I'd say yes). I also made this grilled veggie and feta salad. I will be making all of these things again and my completely full right now stomach is getting excited for the next time I can have the leftovers!

Grilled Veggie Salad with Feta & Mint (Ellie Krieger)

  • bell pepper
  • eggplant
  • zucchini
  • EVOO
  • Red wine Vinegar
  • dried oregano
  • grape tomatoes, (note: do not eat entire bag of grape tomatoes while cooking so that you only have three left to put on the salad)
  • chopped fresh mint
  • crumbled low-fat feta cheese

Feta Stuffed Chicken

I took the 1/2 of the chicken breasts that I had to make this. Something about a huge chunk of meat is seriously unappetizing to me. 1/2 portions worked much better and didn't leave us too full.

  • chicken breast
  • cup spinach leaves
  • low-fat feta
  • Tbsp butter
  • bread crumbs

Pre-heat oven to 350. Slice the chicken breasts into halves and then slice a pocket through the center. In the pocket pack feta on top of spinach leaves. Dust pan and chicken with EVOO spray. Put a dollop of butter on top and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs. Bake for 25 minutes.

For dessert I whipped ricotta with some lemon and honey and topped with dark chocolate chips. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm...Quick and decadent. Points for using the margarita glasses too!

In an effort to use the REST of my ricotta, I decided to make a quiche. In between trips to the secret laundry room on my floor (no more going to the basement... hooray!) it's $1.00 cheaper per load and I don't have to haul my life up and down 5 flights (okay i know there's an elevator, but still) amazing discovery.... to be celebrated with baking breakfast food at 10pm, don't you think?

I used Caitlin's recipe (shout out, oh hay!) for quiche using black beans and a mexican-ish theme. It was delicous. Disclaimer: I don't have a round pan. How have I gone this long in the adult world with only square pans? Apparently I'm a square? It's hip to be square? No? I got nothing.

the pre-bake picture. Ingredients are as follows:
Black Bean Quiche (see bride run)
  • eggs
  • red pepper
  • spinach leaves
  • black beans
  • red onions
  • brown rice
  • ricotta cheese
  • shredded cheddar cheese.
Sooooooo good.
Yesterday for lunch I threw together a Waldorf chicken salad sandwich. It is pictured on a small green cutting board.... as opposed to a green screen. This sandwich does not have special effects nor will it be featured in a video game or action movie.

Waldorf Chicken Salad: (Ellie Krieger)
  • chicken breast
  • grapes
  • NF yogurt
  • low-fat mayo (or nayo!)
  • all natural ground mustard
  • thyme
  • walnuts

The original recipe called for an apple too, which I ommitted due to a lack of apples in my pantry, although the additional crunch would have been lovely.

Alas, my lovelies. I will soon be traveling for work and staying to see the brother on the east coast.. which will pretty much last until after Halloween. This also means I won't be cooking and I won't be feeling so inclined to photograph food when I'm at company dinners. This from the girl who accidentally ate the steamed artichoke leaves whole at the last company dinner and was slyly trying to remove them to my napkin after chewing on them for about 15 minutes. Seriously, sometimes it's all I can do to not set myself on fire at these things. I am sure, though room service and pricy meals can be fabulous, I will be looking forward to returning to my own kitchen where healthier and wholesome options await. Secrest out.