Tuesday, February 10, 2009

This just in: dunk tank saves writers/jokers/cooker's block

Despite the fact that I raced home for lunch to create a delicious/creative/someone else's recipe lunch AND got to work preparing dinner in a crock, I debated posting because i had absolutely nothing to say. I seriously can't think of anything funny or slightly entertaining to tell you people other than just show you a picture of my food. Since we all know my cooking has barely a leg to stand on (more like a substition.. like a peg leg), I needed some pizzaz. The only thing I found notable was that today whilst chopping 2 onions I found myself crying so hard I couldn't see straight. This is unusual because I can't cry about other real life things. Seriously, dad is sick you say? let's hit the bars. what's that? mom is sick?, let's make an inappropriate joke. I'm graduating from high school? How about I unsuccessfully attempt to squeeze out a crocodile tear while everyone around is crying and giving dirty looks for being an insensitive jerk/half man/half machine.

Thoughts of my strange onion blurry-eye fest at lunch got my mind wandering here: http://www.theonion.com/ which actually has nothing to do with onions, crying, or my lack of emotion. There are ridiculous satirical stories which literally make me LOL at my desk (which I sincerely try to avoid because everyone knows laughing is NOT a work related activity). Seriously there's probably not a day that goes by that my brother, father, or BFF/neighbor extraordinaire Emily doesn't send me a link about something ridiculous and amazing (last week's funniest was: Tina Turner burns own legs down for insurance money). If you aren't familiar with the site, I recommend visiting for some hilariousness. It's a gem. Below is a highlight from the week: Cheney Dunk Tank Raises $800 Billion For Nation
For lunch I made Heidi Swanson's Lemon Scented Quinoa Salad.
  • chickpeas
  • cilantro
  • lemon (juice/zest)
  • red onions
  • tahini
  • quinoa

I ate it with black grapes (don't they look like olives in the picture?) anyway the salad was good. It tasted different, as most of her recipes do, but in a good/wholesome kind of way. I will be making this again... probably with less dressing (what with my halving the recipe and eyeballing it.. sheesh)


Happy Tuesday! I laughed, I cried... it's been a good day. Further good-mood-ifying me: I have no class today, it's nearly 70 degrees AND i got to use my lemon zester today for the first time (it was everything i hoped it would be and put my grater to shame).