Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Negative Nancy

Really more like 'worrying... er... wendy' but i've never heard of that one. So this week is midterms, I will be MIA next week for work (note to self: step up the planning, packing, angst), it's freezing, my to-do list is out of control and Greenlee has been killed off of All My Children. Suffice it to say... I've had a lot going on. Not to worry, I have been eating (where was I sunday? Studying for last night's test? or spending two hours trolling the aisles of the grocery store and blissfully selecting fruit, reading ingredient lists, and familiarizing myself with gourmet cheeses)

So new combos. Before said grocery trip (total therapy.. is it like that for anyone else?) I raided the contents of my fridge and tried to find a way to use the goat cheese before it went bad. Do I mind? heck no, I love that stuff.
  • new potatoes
  • evoo
  • misc. seasonings (basil & chives?)
  • goat cheese
  • lemon juice

boiled then baked. deeeeeeeeeelish.


Post grocery store, in my overload of veggie euphoria (and procrastination of school work, obviously) I decided to make a veggie lasagna. Now, I have made lasagna before, and it seemed fairly intuitive, right?
  • whole wheat lasagna noodles
  • cottage cheese
  • mozzarella cheese
  • spaghetti sauce (i like the organic store brand)
  • spinach
  • red peppers
  • cauliflower
  • yellow & green zucchini
  • asparagus
  • roma tomatoes

(there might've been more veggies, I was throwing a lot of stuff in) I boiled the noodles first because i was nervous that they would be undercooked.

Oops... I had lasagna soup. Where the heck did all of this water come from?? granted, the veggies had juices, the sauce was saucy, the cottage cheese a runnier option than ricotta. I blame myself. Note to self: liberally pat dry the noodles or put in pan dry and hope they turn out right. *sigh* .... On the other hand I have discovered that any veg/cheese/whole grain combination is my favorite type of meal. No seriously, it categorizes nearly all of my bookmarked recipes. So lacking presentation/on-the-fork-convenience aside, it was still delicious. This last weekend was a lot of fun though. We went to a fun new swanky bar, met up with friends, saw my ALMA MATTER basketball team take their conference tournament championship (3 games won in OT... GO MULES!), and got to finally see Gran Terino (so good, no really).

Hope your week is smooth sailing so far, and I'll pretty much hope that for myself too. One bright spot is that Hayden Arthur, My friend Jessica's beautiful baby boy is finally here! YAY :)