Monday, January 26, 2009

Dance Party!

So remember how last weekend it was so nice to stay in and do nothing? Apparently my cabin fever sent me over the edge this weekend where shenanigans included everything from losing a jeopardy game, losing a wii tournament, consequently losing the prize liquor (pretty sure i found that too) losing my glasses (found), losing my lunch, a dance party (with apparently trick photography coming from the kitchen counter top?) losing basketball games (as a spectator... obviously) crawling across bar tables, playing dice games with crowds of cheering townies, trespassing, broken chairs, broken camera (fixed) and in general putting me in some serious detox today. My body is pretty mad at me and has me swearing off alcohol and the copious amounts of bar food i ate over the course of 2 days. Unfortunately places with $4 pitchers don't have food that isn't fried. Fortunately my attempts to BEG our waitress to turn on the fryer at 2 am didn't happen. As I now dream of vegetables, citrus fruit, and a simpler time where I had reports to this pseudo health food blog about which I could be proud... The one home-made recipe bright spot was the food Jaclyn made for the Wii party.
As it happens, she received this recipe from a teacher of ours (from a class we were supposed to be in together no less)
So without any further ado I will now present a foodshoesbooze special guest appearance by Jaclyn....

Career Person Rolls (Crescent)
  • 1 package dry yeast
  • l/4 cup warm water
  • 1 cup milk
  • l/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs (always use extra large for baking - not jumbo or large)
  • 1 stick real melted butter
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups bread flour (must be bread flour)

Dissolve yeast in water (add 1 tsp sugar; let set 10 minutes). Warm milk slightly; do not let boil. Add sugar and dissolved yeast. Mix and let stand l/2 hour. Add 2 well beaten eggs, salt, butter, and flour. Mix well with big spoon. No need to knead! Cover and let stand overnight. Do not refrigerate. Divide dough into three parts. Pat each on to greased 12-inch pizza pan. Cut into 12 wedges. Roll up starting with wide side. Place rolls on greased heavy (not coated) cookie sheets or sheet cake pans. Grease a sheet of waxed paper and gently place over top of rolls. May let set all day. Bake 350 about 10 minutes or until slightly brown. Brush with melted real butter and serve immediately. May warm up two rolls at a time in microwave for about 12 seconds. I have adjusted the time period to coincide with my career. The roll dough should rise at least 5 hours, and the rolls at least 4 hours. When I have let the dough set overnight and the rolls all day, the house has been cool.

Marinated Rolled Pork Loin

Purchase rolled pork loin in vacuum pack. There are two in each pack. The brand escapes me. Wrap apple favored bacon around each roll. May take about two or three slices each. Marinate overnight in the following mixture:

  • l/2 cup soy sauce (regular)
  • l Tablespoon minced onion (the kind with the spices)
  • l/8 minced garlic (in a jar)
  • 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
  • l/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • l/2 teaspoon salt
  • l/2 cup sugar

The marinating recipe triples easily, and I usually do triple it when I?m serving several. Bake uncovered in flat heavy pan 325 degrees until meat thermometer reaches 170. Doesn't take very long. My recipe says 45 minutes but may be shorter. Drain marinade and place loin on cutting board and slice thinly. I have fixed it ahead and warmed the slices. I can?t tell any difference.

Recipe via professor C Southers January 2009

Jaclyn's notes: Don't you dare substitute for any of the ingredients--you know my philosophy!The best of success with the above. You may want to practice, especially on the rolls; they freeze well.

lauren's notes: Good... looking forward to trying them on my own at some point for carnivorous friends. School will have me eating out of the freezer until I can report something homemade-ish later this week. See you then! ;)