Thursday, May 7, 2009

Green Monster Club Initiation

I know what you're thinking.
But it's not that kind of Monster. The immense relief and freedom I currently feel with being FINISHED with school-- don't get carried away says the voice in the back of my head (which btw sounds a lot like Bea Arthur most days, and I'm pretty sure it dissaproves of blanche and would wear a lot of cardigans and sensible shoes if it could)... you still have a summer class. Well true... but I am looking forward to cooking and reconnecting with physical fitness. Not that we've ever connected. But whatever (p.s. when do the endorphins kick in so that you start loving it?)

Anyway, elsewhere in the blogworld It seems summer fitness, committment to diligently washing face/teeth/hair/self are all the rage. I'm not sure I can get all of that in all of that in at once (shall I give you a moment to be grossed out?) For baby steps, I made a pricey trip to walgreens to replenish toiletries, reminded myself where the treadmill is in my building, and bought flax seed. It felt like a weird health food thing to do, like I was being initiated into a club of healthy people. There in the supermarket check out, feeling SOOOO much healthier than the lady behind me with a bag of cheetos, I pictured Richard simmons cheering me on. And then I wished I had some sequinned shorts, and then I promised myself if I ate enough flax smoothies I could get some. And then I realized I was holding up the line.

Today started with a leafy green smoothies sure to hold all of the answers to my body/skin ailments of late (stress induced, i'm guessing). SO. Here I am, jumping on the bandwagon. Attempting to fill my life and my bod with earthy, greeny goodness.


Ingredients (per Angela at OSG)
Green Monster
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • Tbsp milled flax seed
  • 1 cup spinach leaves

the Delta Zeta cup (holla!) was for leftovers in the car for work... in the event that happened. which it didn't.

The verdict? Not as gross as I thought it might be. In fact, despite the fact that the flax made it semi grainy, and my particular measurements seemed to make it thin-ish (as opposed to finnish, which it is not, but what i accidentelly typed twice instead), it could've been a naked Juice in another life. To which I say...hazzah!


I took two pictures and posted both because i couldn't decide whether the monster looked better showing off it's fancy new Derby glass or it's nice view of the KC skyline from the sofa in front of Matt Lauer before it realized it was 6 minutes late for work already.


P.S. Guess who graduates tomorrow?