Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hoppy Easter!

Corny? yes please. I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday weekend. (can you still call it that if you didn't get Friday off?) I have been having melty cadbury eggs in my morning oats and it has been GLORIOUS.

Minus not being able to have fish (tear) and the occasional mishap after drinking (re: street corn dog) giving up meat for lent only pushes me further towards the full time veg category. I'm a fan. I heart vegetables. I don't care what people say. We're in love and we're running away together.


Because both John and I had commented lately on how good manicotti sounds, I decided to make a variation using big shells (by the way, is it hard for anyone else to find wheat varieties of pasta other than spaghetti? just the midwest maybe?)

Lauren's The bomb Impromptu Cheesey Faux Meat Shells
  • 1/2 container part skim ricotta
  • 1/2 container low fat cottage cheese
  • spinach chopped
  • shells
  • organic spaghetti sauce (yeah, yeah, i'll make my own one of these days)
  • boca crumbles (SO could not taste the difference, texture, taste, everything was a dead ringer, i'm sold)

after this picture i put the meat sauce (and then more regular sauce) over the shells and baked. The shells had been pre-boiled and then dried a little on wax paper... and it STILL made for a soupy end result... what gives??

Irish bars on Easter weekend? that'll do.

For Easter at John's family's house (tear.... I missed my fam and the large gathering in IA!) I contributed with a couscous salad. I had wanted to make this vegetable one from a cookbook I had at home, but had left the recipe (oh iphone... where for art though iphone). Come saturday night, we are still out and about, and I have my sister get on the computer to google a recipe. This is what she found:
CousCous Citrus Salad with Olives: (eating well)
  • couscous (tried to find WW but didn't have it, yet again)
  • frozen O.J.
  • orange zest
  • orange
  • lemon juice
  • chopped calamato olives
  • fresh parsley
  • fresh thyme
  • EVOO
  • salt
  • mustard
  • red onion (i didn't have chives or scallions)

It didn't knock my socks off... but texture-wise i liked it, and it was the kind of dish that makes me want to branch out in cooking alternate flavors more often. John's family was sort of curious about it but not bowled over. His mom asked for leftovers to have for the week though, which made me happy.

............... and that's the cooking week in review.

I just signed up for MY LAST GRADUATE CLASS EVA. How awesome is that? Oh August, you can't get here soon enough! I hope everyone is having a fabulous week! Happy Hump Day :)